Tuesday, April 12, 2011

in the hood: e. scott originals





Okay guys: I've a got a new 'feature' to feature.
I live in Somerville, MA. I am a proud resident of the 02144. My neighborhood is great for many reasons. In fact, I could write an entire piece on that alone. And I probably should. In fact, I will. But this isn't that piece...nor is it the new feature that I am all pumped to write about. I digress. Refocus Irene. Refocus.

My new feature is called 'in the hood' and my goal is to tell you about something that is cool in my neighborhood. As I was trying to write a minute back, one of the reasons that my neighborhood is really cool is because there are tons of cool, local artists and many of them have shops. Within one avenue block (in either direction) I have two jewelers, a potter and a cupcake maker. The jeweler that I want to tell you about today is e. scott originals.

e. scott moved into our hood within this past year. Her cute little dog hangs out in her shop. Her shop is great. It's got vintage suitcases and great old picture frames hanging on the wall. The space has a great vibe. And her work is great.

She designs and makes all of her pieces. They are a bit edgier and hipper than your average local jeweler. Her work speaks to a younger crowd without being 'too young' or 'too trendy'. Her work is urban, sexy and feminine without being city-slicker or too 'pretty'. Her designs are both familiar and totally original. One of things I like best about her work is that she really knows how to play with the human form. Her necklaces are not just about some pretty object dangling from a chain or string...its about how they drape on your neck, your collar bone and your back. She creates natural textures with metals and makes jewelry that I want to wear.

The two items photographed above are the 'forget me knot' rope bangles and the anchor leather lariat. Both are available on her website:
www.escottoriginals.com

Check her stuff out: in her shop, on etsy, or at somerville open studios 2011!

No comments: