Thursday, April 7, 2011

the things i do: make cool signs

Etsy has been good to me. My etsy shop has acted as a 'portfolio' getting me cool gigs beyond the few sales that I have actually made in my store. What is even cooler is that the work that I have gotten has been EXACTLY the kind of work I want to be doing.

I was contacted by a woman at the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT and she asked to create a beer label for an event that they were having celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the Human Genome Project. As it turns out, she and I worked very well together with clear communication and fast turn around. And, she/they really liked my work....so that is always nice!

I made the beer label and had it printed on vinyl stickers (this would be great for the home brewer as these labels can withstand the dishwasher) and they were so pleased with it that they asked me to create additional signage for the other beverages that they were serving.


















I made signs for HiSeq Fruit Punch (the HiSeq is a gene sequencing machine).























I made a sign for Charles Street Cocoa (their facility is located at 320 Charles Street).
























And I made a sign for Sanger Sangria. Frederick Sanger won a Nobel Prize for his work with gene sequencing.
























My job is so cool because I get to learn about all of these random things....I have to research these machines, people and topics in order to create something that my clients will respond to...and in the process I get to explore things that would have never otherwise peaked my interest. It's also cool to know that some pretty fabulous scientists - maybe even a Nobeloriate or two - were drinking 'my beer'.

No comments: