Tuesday, April 19, 2011

the things i do: prepare for an installation


This year, for the weekend of Somerville Open Studios Maria Marx and I will be creating an installation in the front yard of her home - where will be showcasing our work (#65 on the map).

In the past I have created small installations...filling the yard with hundreds of pinwheels, etc. but this time....well lets just say we will be going a bit 'bigger'.

Fortunately for me, the official color of SOS is orange; obviously, this works well with my overall branding. And, if you are in New England this year, you know that spring is not here (yes, its another cold, wet, dark day here). So...in an attempt at bringing cheer and color to the hood we will be filling the yard with orange! I have decorated beer bottles with orange duct tape to be distributed throughout the barren yard and we covering the barren tree with dozens and dozens and dozens (and dozens) of orange balloons.

I am creating patterns out of duct tape and cutting them out (by placing the tape onto transparency paper and then cutting it out). So far, I have seven bottles completed. I'm not sure what is going to look best so I am trying various things...and I am open to opinion. So if you have something to say, say it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great! This also looks like a ton of work. What if you just did stripes, as that's probably easier? Or, what about orange spary paint? Also, you could hang some from the trees like windchimes...just throwing some ideas out there. Can't wait to see them!

orangeladybird said...

all things considered...and your ideas greatly appreciated! we are going to cover the tree with the balloons and its sort of small, so all of that real estate is spoken for. and, i don't mind the work - it's relaxing....i know you know....