Wednesday, April 13, 2011

the things i do: collect vintage apparel


Over the years I have collected many cool pieces of vintage apparel. I've got everything from boots and purses to dresses, jewelry, hats, umbrellas and coats. I love vintage stuff because it is interesting - it has a past; a mysterious past. I like knowing that these items have been around a long time...who knows where they have traveled? who wore them? what parties they attended? or what adventures they have been on?

To me, vintage stuff is one-of-a-kind. I know in that in fact, it may not be. But, it is not cookie-cutter and you can't just go to Target or Macy's and pick one up. With vintage stuff, some sort of 'find' had to take place, searching in the back rooms of little shops, gifts from friends and relatives or dumpster scores - you have to be 'lucky' to acquire these pieces.

One portion of my collection are vintage hats. My hats are great. Some of them are pretty ridiculous and I can't imagine when they were worn with any seriousness; others create timeless silhouettes. All of these hats have their merits.

Two other pieces that I have that are definitely GREAT are my paper dress and my pink prom dress. The pink prom dress has a hot pink velveteen belt and a rhinestone detail over the little buckle. The pink tulle, although now at least 60 years old is fading and brittle but the dress has not lost the whimsy and fabulousness of a time long ago. My paper dress has held up well. It is probably from the 1960's. The image of a city in a storm is so cool. I love that it is a real 'piece' - treated as a canvas. It is so neat that the print is not a repetition.

I have far better photos of these dresses and I have created graphic design projects around these and many other dresses that I own. Graphic design has been a way for me to give these dresses one more day in the spotlight....

No comments: